Charlie is a 24-year-old stunt driver who grew up in California sharing a four-bedroom house with her parents and brother. When her parents passed away, she and her brother were now in charge of the household – and the owners of the entire house. This was a huge responsibility, but manageable as long as they could split it down the middle.
In July 2017, Charlie purchased a new smart watch online. This one came with extra features like built-in motion tracking, which she figured might even be useful for assessing factors like her speed while on the job – and it was just a cool new gadget that it was about time to get.
The watch was delivered within just a few days, and Charlie couldn't wait to start making use of it. The instructions recommended eight hours of a full charge – and from there, it could last more than 72 hours without the need to be plugged in.
After eight hours of charging, Charlie removed the watch from the charging point and put it on.
She noticed that the back of the watch face was getting unusually hot. The instructions didn't say anything about this – and as a caution, she decided to switch the watch off for at least half an hour. She would come back to it later.
Everything seemed fine when she turned the watch on again. It must have just been a consequence of charging the watch.
On her way to work, she didn't notice how warm the watch was getting on her wrist. She did notice when it started to feel burning hot. As she moved to pull the watch off her wrist, she heard something explode.
It took her a few seconds to realize that it had been the watch.
Where the watch had been on her wrist, there was now a scorching burn mark instead.
She needed to drive herself straight to the emergency room instead of going to work.
Several more instances of the same model smart watch developed problems according to consumer reports, but when Charlie contacted the company, they refused to take responsibility for the damaged smart watch or the accident. As far as they were concerned, this wasn't their problem and that was the end of it.
The injury on her wrist had to be bandaged and treated, and as a precautionary measure, the doctor prescribed an anti-burn gel. If the wounds were to get infected, he warned that she could risk nerve damage and told her to come back if she had any problems.
It took only a few days for the injury to have become worse than it was at first. Now, it was red and swollen and her wrist felt like it had caught fire. The doctor confirmed that an infection had entered in through her skin.
The doctor immediately prescribed antibiotics and told her that she had to re-wrap and clean the wound daily. It took a few more weeks for it to heal.
As a result of the damage sustained as a result of the accident, Charlie has lost feeling on the surface of her hand. Further than this, the injury has left her with chronic pain and the occasional feeling of her hand on fire due to the nerve damage the accident caused.
Because of the injury, Charlie had to take time off work and exhaust her savings in order to pay for the surgical costs. This means that she has had to put in far more time at work to keep up – and that her and her boyfriend have had to put all of their plans for the future on hold.
Defective Product Law Firms specialize in handling cases like the one described above.